Images taken at Dragon Con 2017 by Bryan Humphrey.
Following images taken at Dragon Con 2016 by Dim Horizon Studio
Accompanying costume: Marie Antoinette
I decided to make my own original version of mermaid Ariel for Momocon’s night at the Aquarium. I literally wanted to look like a disco ball, without the ball part. I got to fulfill my inner little girl and buy terrible sparkly sequin-y fabrics. I actually bought a lot more than in my finished version because I ran out of time, and it might’ve been too tacky anyway.
The top is a pre-made strapless bra that I covered with sparkly glitter ribbon. I sewed it on by hand. I also started to add rhinestones but realized it was sparkly enough, so I just left what I did.
Continue reading “Mermaid Ariel: Progress”
I made Queen Rapunzel from Lele Draw Cosplay’s Disney Queens fanart. I was part of a group of queens! We competed in the masquerade and won a judge’s award and honorable mention for our performance! :)
Here are some pictures my gals took of me at the convention. Eventually I might to a photoshoot and get more professional images.
For Katsucon 2016 I made Queen Rapunzel, based on the Lele Draw Cosplay fanart (image).
Some construction notes:
The base fabric is a paisley suiting fabric I found at Joann’s, honestly not exactly sure what it is. The gold is metallic dupioni, which I really liked working with and I think is much nicer than lamé. I also used some various satin fabrics I had lying around for accents. The cape is silk dupioni.
I found some clear teardrop-ish shaped gems and painted them gold, then e-6000’ed them onto the dress. We all had a ton of bling, so I added extra Swarovski crystals here and there. The swirly designs on the front panels are applique that I made and satin stitched.
The design overall is pretty straightforward. The coolest part is that I used pre-made hook and eye tape with a separate panel in the middle. This was a neat alternative to a zipper or actual lacing.
During the summer of 2015, I made the popular “blue dress with red belt” gown from the Sophia Coppola movie Marie Antoinette. I’ve been drooling over this gown ever since I first saw the movie in 2006. I’m so happy I finally made it!
Interesting fact: This gown is what spurred my obsession with 18th century clothing. I started doing the research for it several years ago, and fell down the rabbit hole. All of the pieces I have made until now were honestly practice for this one. I am extremely proud of how it turned out! It is one of the most accurate movie replicas I’ve made, if not the most accurate.
Continue reading “Marie Antoinette: Progress”
For Dragon Con 2015 I made Margaery bunny for a Game of Thrones bunny group. I’d never made a bunny suit before, and it didn’t quite turn out right, but I was happy enough with it to wear it anyway. :P We won best group in the bunny hutch contest!
It was one of those projects that went great in theory but didn’t quite go perfectly in the end. Instead of buying a bunny-suit pattern, I made a mock by combining my favorite corset pattern with a panty pattern I drafted. The mock itself turned out really well and fit great. I constructed the whole thing like a corset. I used a strong twill inner layer, spiral steel, twill stay tape, hidden lace up closure, etc. It turned out really great, except for the me wearing it part. The bottom bunches up and is loose at the same time. (The pictures in this post are of angles that look fine… something I did on purpose :P) Oh well, it was wearable at least and a learning experience. :) The accessories were super fun to make! I made everything but the crown, which is the cheap Halloween version (but surprisingly detailed/accurate).
Continue reading “Margaery Bunny: Progress”
This is commission I did in late 2015 of Margaery Tyrell’s Season 3 blue dress. The top is a gorgeous satin brocade that I think is surprisingly close to the original design, I got really lucky with this find. The shoulder pads are a pale minty grey cotton velour. The skirt is 100% silk Habotai, doubled for modestly. I made the rose belt from scratch with Worbla. It is a real wrap dress with ties made from the skirt silk. The shoulder pads have button loops, and there are hidden buttons on the inside of the top. The top has adjustable hooks, and a snap in the front for modesty.
A handful of photos of my finished Frozen Fever Anna.
This set by Bryan Humphrey